Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Why I use Latex Paint.....

I often get asked why I paint with latex, I want to answer this by saying because I just like it better.  I have never really had a good answer until now......after many months of thinking it over.





First, I love the look of sprayed furniture, it is so smooth and if done right it can produce a perfect finish.

Second, I am a perfectionist.  I always look at those beautiful chippy pieces and think to myself "I love that look....I can do that."  but I can't because it has to be balanced and symmetrical.  All areas have to be distressed evenly, I can't have a side that is more chippy than the other or it bothers me, like keeps me up at night bothers me.







Third, it has held up best against my kids.  I am sure my kids are much like yours, they climb on my furniture when I am not looking, leave their half eaten suckers on my sofa tables, or their water bottles on the coffee table without a coaster.  Most of the time, knock on wood, it has wiped up without any evidence.

Fourth it is cheaper than most specialty paints.  I do use high end paint usually Valspar Optimus or Sherwin Williams which does run about $50 a gallon.  But the higher end latex paints cover better and hold up much better as well.

Fifth it is convenient, if I run out of a paint color or a top coat I just hop in the car and drive down the street 5 minutes.



Latex does have it's draw backs, for example it does require more prep work up front, like sanding, lots and lots of sanding!  Or sometimes when I am distressing it can start to ball up.

Now, I am not saying I don't like specialty paints, I love to use chalk paint on accent pieces or decor items.  And if I am being honest I have never used milk paint.  I have wanted to give it a go but I haven't found the right piece.  It is on my TO DO list!



You know, when something is working for you it is hard to get out of your groove.

TTFN

Brooke


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...